Sunday, December 9, 2018

The Second Advent: Love Goes to War





“A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth.” Rev 12:1,2

“and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.” Luke 2:7

There is a scene described in the twelfth chapter of the book of Revelation that takes away my breath every time I read it. It’s a version of the Christmas story that we do not see depicted on Christmas cards and it brings to mind those surreal battle scenes from the Lord of the Rings movies. It’s the passage that I turn to when I start to lose sight of God’s love for me and the bigger picture of what is really going on around me. 

It’s a description of a battle that originates in heaven, but it is also about what is happening on this planet that we inhabit. In this battle the enemy is pictured as a great and powerful dragon and he is waiting in the most disgustingly macabre manner for a woman about to give birth so he can “devour” her child (Rev. 12:4). 

The child is Jesus, and the dragon is identified as Satan, God’s enemy. A dreadful war breaks out between the dragon and his angels and God’s archangel Michael and his army. The battle is decisively won by God’s forces and the dragon is thrown out of heaven. 

What are the stakes of this battle? What is the winning prize? The answer is shocking: it’s you and it’s me! This cataclysmic battle that spills out of the heavens to continue to play out on earth is all about capturing the hearts and souls of every being that bears the stamp of the image of God. The dragon’s goal is destruction of life, but God’s purpose is redemption, healing, and restoration of life.

God’s mission is to save us from the enemy’s reign of horror, destruction, lies, and deceit, and to heal us from the effects of it. His motivation is love. It is a love so great that that he dispatches all of heaven’s resources and best warriors to battle for us. 


On top of this, he sends his beloved son to leave heaven and to take on human flesh to enter our world as a newborn baby. In spite of the enemy’s best attempts to thwart this mission, love always wins. The Son takes the victory and God’s mission is accomplished on a cross outside of Jerusalem.

“Your love, O LORD,” writes the psalmist, “reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies …. How priceless is your unfailing love!” (Psalm 36:5, 7a)

Several years ago the movie Despicable Me came out. When I watched it, I cringed at how much I identified with Gru, the shameful, narcissistic super-villain. While I may be able to present myself in a more acceptable manner than he does, I know that I fight the same urges towards a self-serving existence that he lives out. 

But it drives home the point that that this immeasurable love God has demonstrated towards me is not a response to some inherent goodness in me. It’s based on who God is, his very essence, which, the gospel writer John says, is love, (1 John 4:8, 9). It is because of God’s love that I am saved from myself, my own depravity, as well as from the enemy of my soul. Of this I have an unshaken certainty. 


Photo by Greyson Joralemon on Unsplash

The second candle we light during this advent season is to remind us of this truth: God is love and we are the objects of his love. His love is not passive or inactive; it is a fierce love that only stops short of forcing a response from the beloved. 

 As the ultimate proof of his love, he entrusted his Son, the one called Immanuel, Messiah, the Christ, and the King of kings, into the care of an unwed teenage girl. And in a cold, dark animal shelter in an obscure village in the Middle East, with his enemy salivating over a quick demise, he made his arrival.

Love is at war.

Suggested readings this week: Revelation 12; Matthew 2:1-18; 1 John 4:7-21

4 comments:

  1. That is an interesting passage and not what we hear a Christmas but so true, God had to keep Him safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, it's interesting, for sure. We've been going through the book of Revelation at my church and it's incredibly eye-opening to understand what is going on in places we don't see. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I love the take on this passage! I needed this reminder of Jesus' love for me when Satan had really been raging and attacking me today! So, thank you so much, Helena! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patricia, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad my post was encouraging for you. Stay strong in Christ and stand your ground when the attacks come cause you are loved and God's got your back!

      Delete